Sunday, November 6, 2011

"The Last Best Place"

I have wrestled for 2 weeks now with how to approach writing a blog, in order to both show my gratitude for the Live Locally Race, along with shed some light into how lucky I am to come from such an amazing small town.  Now some people, like my boyfriend, are blessed with the amazing ability to beautifully if not poetically put down on paper the words that are in their head.  Me on the other hand, was not blessed with such ability.  Especially on a topic such as this, where I am trying so hard to express how deeply grateful I am.  I guess the phrase "Words cannot describe" could not be truer here.  

On October 22nd my hometown of Polson, Montana put on a 5k-benefit run where all proceeds were graciously given to help me train for the upcoming Olympics in August.  I am not sure if I will ever be able to describe how truly honored I am to have been born and raised in a town where the people care for each other so much.  I have told many people of how jealous the athletes around me get when they hear about the support I have back home.  When an athlete comes from somewhere such as LA, Atlanta, or even Seattle they are one of MANY other highly competitive athletes.  Heck most every state has a professional football, basketball, or baseball team that takes up most of the attention.  Not in Polson, and not in Montana.  I wonder how many other athletes have been on a run, while visiting home, and had a neighbor run out their door after them with a check in hand wanting to help.  I would dare to say none.  

This is what makes, what I do, so special.  I get to share it with so many caring and supportive people.  All in my corner, and all helping push me every single day to work as hard, or harder than any of my competitors.  That is what I want people to know, that every single email, Facebook message, letter, text message, etc has helped drive me.  I would not be where I am if it were not for the great people of Polson, Montana, and the unbelievably giving companies such as Country Pasta.  So for anyone who is reading this, who has given and or shown support I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart.  And to everyone else. . . you now have a small glimpse at the facts, which support my claim, that I come from the “Last Best Place”.


No comments:

Post a Comment